We have taken the sample Watson Content Hub Oslo React web application and converted into a working Progressive Web Application including the main and winning characteristics of a PWA:
- Installable on home screen
- Offline mode
- Push notifications
What is Watson Content Hub Oslo React?
Oslo is a single page application (SPA) developed in React and implemented in IBM Watson Content Hub to serve web sites. To get more information about it, follow this link. IBM Watson Content Hub is a new and very interesting cognitive SaaS (Software As as Service) CMS built by IBM and soon be part of the portfolio of Centerbridge.
A screenshot of Oslo:
A screenshot of Watson Content Hub and the way you can update a content:
Why we need a Progressive Web Application?
Well, there is so much excitement lately about PWAs. Without entering into the details I just drop here a table can exactly show the point of why PWA:
We have already experimented the impact of PWA: much better User Experience (especially on e-commerce) and so better Conversion Rate! It is really worth it!
What we have done on top of Oslo React?
We added the critical and most interesting PWA functionalities on top of Oslo React. We our development the application could:
- install Oslo on home screen of a mobile and/or on a desktop of a workstation
- get notifications every time a new event is added or deleted in Watson Content Hub
- keep navigate Oslo despite the device/workstation is offline
From a technical point of view we have:
- create a web app manifest file
- implemented service worker for offline support
- added transport layer security (TLS) to ensure private and data integrity
- defined the base of an application shell architecture in order to allow fast loading time
Install Oslo on Home Screen
Get a push notification on Oslo event change
We spent the last weeks focusing on creating the PWA for Oslo; everything came up as a funny challenge rose by our friend and IBM colleague Antonio Fiol. Special thanks to
Do you need further details?
Don’t be shy and contact us! We will be happy to answer your questions: email@example.com